Chilli Con Jackfruit
This is hands down as good as a meat chilli! The recipe is from ‘Fast Vegan‘ and the clever people at Leon, they sure do know how to make fresh, healthy food that tastes tremendous.
We serve ours with steamed rice and some homemade guacamole, you could also add some sour cream on the side too. There seem like a lot of ingredients, but most are store cupboard essentials that you’ll have in. We make it in large batches and have it for lunch too. It also tastes great made in the slow cooker – what could be better than coming home to a bowl of this pre-prepared goodness!
- large onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- bunch coriander sprigs, leaves picked and stalks chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 200ml vegan red wine
- 2 tins jackfruit in brine, drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chilli paste or 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and sweat for 5 minutes over a medium heat, then add the garlic, coriander stalks, carrot and celery. Cover and sweat for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the oregano and spices in a small bowl and stir together (to stop them catching when they are added to the pan).
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 1 minute stirring continuously. Then stir in the spices and add the wine to deglaze the pan. Let it bubble for a couple of minutes then add the jackfruit and chopped tomatoes.
- Stir in the soy sauce, chipotle, 400ml water, cocoa powder, kidney beans, black pepper, bouillon and large pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer, recover and cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally with a spoon to break it up slightly.
- Just before serving stir in the cider vinegar, maple syrup and coriander leaves. Check the seasoning and add more syrup, salt and vinegar to taste.